2.2 CIRCULATION POLICIES
All circulation transactions and information must be treated with confidentiality. The user’s right of privacy must be ensured as much as possible. All requests should be discussed only in a professional context.
2.2-2 RULES FOR BORROWING LIBRARY MATERIALS
- Number and kind of materials will be limited as noted:
- Reference books are not loaned.
- The most current issue of a magazine is not available for circulation.
- CD ROMs are limited to 3 per patron. ( both adult and Juvenile)
- LeapFrog kits are limited to 1 per patron.
- Playaway audio books are limited to 1 per patron.
- The Library reserves the right to limit to three the number of in-demand items checked out to any one patron.
- Loan Periods:
- Museum passes: 1 day
- Videotapes, DVDs, JDVDs: 1 week
- Books, Compact discs, Audiotapes, Playaways: 3 weeks
- Juvenile CD-ROMs: 3 weeks
- Video Games: 1 week, 1 per person
- Fast Track books: 1 week
- LeapFrog kits: 1 week
- Material owned by the CPL may be renewed twice in person or by telephone. Non-renewable are: materials on reserve, museum passes, Fast Track, Video Games, and LeapFrog kits.
- Charges for lost or damaged materials:
- The cost of the replacement of an item is charged if it has been lost or damaged due to misuse or negligence, and it can no longer be used. There will be no charge for minor damages.
- If a cassette tape—video or audio—breaks, or a CD or DVD will not play, there is no charge for its replacement. It is difficult to ascertain if the damage is from the cumulative effect of wear or from misuse.
- Receipts will be available if requested.
- In order to avoid “buying back” items after the Library has replaced them, refunds will not be given to patrons who have paid for lost materials.
- After a patron has received a bill on an item thought to be lost, payment should be accepted. The patron should be informed that the money is non-refundable.
- Schedule of overdue notices:
- First notice: Posted in computer one day after due date
- Second notice: 2 weeks after due date
- Bill notice: 4 weeks after due date. Patron status is set to “delinquent” on the automated system and patron cannot borrow material from any MVLC libraries.
- Collection notice: 11 weeks after the due date.
- Patron cards:
- Any resident of Chelmsford, upon presentation of proof of Chelmsford residency, i.e., Mass. Driver’s license, mail or any other legal proof, may receive a Library card. Children or adults without proof of residency may check out up to 3 items on the initial visit, and the card will be mailed to their address.
- Residents of other Massachusetts towns within the MVLC area must obtain cards in their town of residency. These cards can then be used in Chelmsford.
- Residents of towns outside of the MVLC area may have their hometown card entered in our system with proof of address, as above.
- Residents of New Hampshire and other states may obtain a Chelmsford Only Library card for free but their card will not be valid in any other Massachusetts towns. If out-of-state residents desire network privileges, then there is a fee of $75 (set by MVLC) for out-of-state residents to use cards in all MVLC towns.
Approved by the Library Trustees, April 2009