2.14 ART EXHIBITION POLICY
The Chelmsford Public Library welcomes the opportunity to allow groups, organizations, or individuals to use the library picture rail on the main level for art exhibits. Space is provided for educational, cultural, civic, or recreational exhibits. Space is not available for strictly commercial purposes.
The purpose of the exhibit policy is to provide guidance in the selection of exhibits; to inform the public about the principles upon which exhibits are arranged; and to encourage equitable utilization of exhibit areas by artists in the Chelmsford area.
Goals of the Exhibits
- To broaden horizons by presenting a wide range of art, collections, or displays;
- To support community cultural and artistic activities;
- To nourish intellectual, aesthetic and creative growth;
- To encourage individuals who may be contributing to the increase of knowledge or extension of the arts;
- To reach non-traditional library patrons.
Criteria for Selection
All exhibits, whether generated by library staff or the public, will be considered in terms of the standards listed below. Not all exhibits will meet all standards. Responsibility for the selection of exhibits rests with the Library Director, Assistant Director and Head of Community Services.
The following will be considered when selecting or approving exhibits:
- subject, technique and style are suitable for intended audience;
- artistic expression;
- appropriateness to special events, anniversaries, holidays, etc.;
- historical or regional relevance;
- relation to other events or exhibits in the community;
- ease of installation;
- representation of an influential movement, genre, trend or national culture;
- significance of the contributor;
- interest of viewers and the public.
The Board of Library Trustees has the final authority for approving exhibits and reserves the right to prohibit any person or group from displaying artwork.
Applying for Exhibit Space
Exhibits are scheduled by the Head of Community Services. Reservations may be made up to one year in advance. Individual exhibitors or groups are limited to a single one- month exhibit annually. Educational groups may schedule exhibits more than once a year, provided there is space available.
To apply for exhibit space, please print and return our Art Exhibit Application Form.
- Each artist/group is responsible for hanging his/her own works and taking down the same when the exhibit has ended. Library Staff assistance is not available
- Artists must sign an exhibit agreement and a waiver form that releases the Library from any responsibility for loss or damage to works on display
- Exhibits must conform to the space restrictions of the exhibit areas provided
- Nothing should be attached to walls unless approved by the library personnel. Do not use tape, labels, thumbtacks, or adhesives for signage on any of the walls in the library
- The Chelmsford Public Library does not allow solicitation or selling of items in the library unless permission has been received
- Artistic works for sale may be purchased directly from the artist, but only outside the library.
- No price tags may be affixed to the works exhibited or pricing lists distributed in the library (A price list may be available at the front desk)
- Artist/groups who fail to remove paintings on or before the specified date will not be allowed use of the library space in the future
- The Library will not provide storage for the property of exhibitors
- Only a library representative can transfer an exhibit reservation to another artist
- The Library's need for exhibit space takes precedence over the public's request to use such areas
Approved Chelmsford Public Library Board of Trustees June 14, 2000
Revised April 2009