|Chelmsford History Local Links Organizations|
These descriptions for the quilt blocks were written in 1976 by the Bicentennial Club of the McFarlin School under the direction of Ms. Janice Carragher and Ms. Virginia Blouin. They were assisted by sixth grade students Terry Cryts, Sirry Karlsson, Melissa Micol, Susan Burns, Judy Fahey, and Kim McBride in 1976.Return to picture of quilt
Pictured is the sixth locomotive of the Nashua-Lowell Railroad's Lion train, which started running In 1838. After departing from its Lowell depot at the corner of Merrimack and Dutton Streets (old YMCA now on site) it made two stops in Chelmsford, one at Middlesex Village at Baldwin Street and a second in North Chelmsford Center.
Linked the ocean at Charlestown with the Merrimack River at Middlesex Village, its operation thriving during the first three decades of the 19th century. After its opening in 1803, it offered cheap transportation of goods between Concord, New Hampshire and Boston.
First Parish Church
In Central Square was built in 1798 by Simeon Spaulding, Jr. In the late 1830's one Thomas Moore operated it briefly as a tavern called the Lafayette House. In April 1839, it was purchased by John Minot Fiske and has since remained in the Fiske family.
Middlesex Canal Toll House
©2006 Chelmsford Public Library