History of the Quilt 1
| 1 | 2
| 3 | 4
| 5 | 6
These descriptions for the quilt blocks were written in 1976 by the Bicentennial
Club of the McFarlin School under the direction of Ms. Janice Carragher
and Ms. Virginia Blouin. They were assisted by sixth grade students Terry
Cryts, Sirry Karlsson, Melissa Micol, Susan Burns, Judy Fahey, and Kim
McBride in 1976.
Go picture of quilt
This 18th Century brick-ender in South Chelmsford was built by John Bateman,
whose daughter Charlotte married Ezekiel Byam, the match manufacturer.
The first Lucifer Matches were made in South Chelmsford by Ezekiel Byam
in 1835. The old match shop stood on Robin Hill Road, a granite marker
now marking its site.
Located on Byam Road, is the headquarters and museum of the Chelmsford
Historical Society and is one of the oldest homes in Chelmsford.
In the early 19th century granite quarried in Chelmsford supplied stone
for some of the major construction in the area, including the arch over
the Middlesex Canal depicted here.
Lime was quarried for many years in Chelmsford at a site a little west
of the Center on Route 110.
In rural Chelmsford apple orchards were a prominent feature of the countryside
and important to most farmers.