CPL Blog Home
Teens@CPL Blog




Categories
RSS Feed icon Keep up to date with RSS:
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • See all CPL RSS feeds
  • Subscribe by Email


Chelmsford Library Blog is powered by WordPress


« »


Remember To Shovel Out Your Gas Meter

Shovled-out gas meterThe changing weather in New England has caused a lot of trouble this winter, from dangerous roads to collapsing roofs. The energy company National Grid would like to remind homeowners of another potential danger: snow-bound natural gas meters.

With all the snow this winter, many residents had no choice but to pile up snow where ever they could - including covering up the gas meter on their house. The recent melting and refreezing has caused some gas meters to become so encased in ice and snow that they're not able to vent properly, thus causing a dangerous presence of natural gas near or inside homes. This could also happen if snow and ice falling from roofs and damages the equipment.

To prevent this situation, carefully shovel out around your gas meter. If you smell or suspect natural gas or carbon monoxide in your home, National Grid recommends that you go outside immediately and breathe deeply; if symptoms are severe, call 911 immediately.

Also, report this gas smell using National Grid emergency contact number 800-233-5325. A service technician will be dispatched within an hour of your call to investigate the smell.

For more information on natural gas, additional information and safety tips, and read a recent Westford Eagle article.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Tuesday, February 15th, 2011 at 3:12 pm and is filed under Current News.


You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply